Thursday, July 12, 2007

Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix (7/10)

Starring: Mainstays Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Gary Oldman, Maggie Smith, Jason Isaacs, Robbie Coltrane, Alan Rickman, Emma Thompson, Ray Fiennes, Katie Leung, and Michael Gambon. With new characters played by Imelda Staunton, fellow Irish gal Evanna Lynch (indulge me, if you will), and Helena Bonham Carter. Quite a big cast, you see.

Note-worthy Acting: Radcliffe has certainly matured in his acting. Staunton who played Dolores Umbridge gave pink a whole new meaning -- terrifyingly bubbly.

In A Nutshell: All you Harry Potter fans should know what book 5 is all about. The bonds of friendship, the power of choice, and finding goodness and courage in one's self in the midst of adversity -- pretty much similar themes in all of the Harry Potter books actually. While Hogwarts is slowly turning into Azkaban Teen Edition, Harry and the new generation of the order learn how to defend themselves from the infamous Voldemort and his legion of Death Eaters. Harry would sometimes act on his rage, causing him to think that he and Voldemort may not be so different from each other after all. Some villains get what they deserve while the good guy/s learn the meaning of sacrifice.

Saw it yesterday, first thing when the cinema opened. The movie was 2.5 hours long, which totally lived up to tradition. I don't know, I just wasn't that...satisfied. I waited all this time, saw every trailer released, but even after seeing the movie it feels like it was missing something. Maybe it was the disturbing Frodo-esque trances Harry experienced all through out the movie. Every time I was like "come on, get over it already." The boy was damaged and he had every reason to act the way he did. I was just expecting a little more, I guess.

My brother's going to kill me for saying this -- him being a supah fan and all -- but I give it a 7/10, which isn't so bad, right? I have to say that I still like the first four installments better. That doesn't mean this one isn't worth every quid, as the Brits call it (it's peso for us Filipinos, but who cares about currency at a time like this). It is mildly entertaining; I'm pretty sure hardcore Harry Potter fanatics would love it anyway.

Oh, and a shout out to my man -- Happy Monthesaurus, Babe!


11 comments:

lisa q. said...

i was there when our theater opened for the first showing too...i liked it...

i used to be a pink lover...Umbridge may have changed that forever! :D

frenchkys said...

LOL I hear you about the pink. So tragic!

eagerblogger said...

I usually just wait for Harry Potter films to be shown on TV. It's yet not possible to leave the kids. :)

frenchkys said...

I know what you mean, eagerblogger. Sometimes,I tell myself to just wait for movies to come out on DVD or HBO (especially if I think they're awful anyway), but come opening day I always end up with a ticket somehow (and I don't have kids yet!). I'm a possessed movie-goer; I have no control over these things whatsoever. Hahaha

Really enjoyed your comment. Do come back soon. Cheers!

Ross said...

Like the books... hate the films!! they are a bit crap to be honest...

www.rosshetherington.com

frenchkys said...

WB can't please us all. The Harry Potter books are better than their silverscreen counterparts, that's for sure. Thanks for the comment, Ross! Hope you're feeling better.

Speaking of the book, I made reservations for the 7th months ago. Just a few more days 'til it hits the shelves -- really psyched about that.

Joe said...

I haven't been able to break away to see it yet either, but maybe this weekend.....

frenchkys said...

It's not the best movie of the summer IMHO, but it's still a good watch (only if you've seen the first four, that is).

Thanks for stopping by, Joe. And good luck with that children's book of yours. Mudgunkland -- how adorable!

mrsnesbitt said...

Reviews haven't been so glowing here in UK! The train station in the film is actually Goathland station which isn't far from our house.....just a piece of information there! LOL!

steve said...

good review....hoping to get out to watch the film soon...

frenchkys said...

mrsnesbitt -- that is too cool, living so close to that train station. Haha appreciate the bit of trivia!

Steve -- thanks for the kind words. Watching the movie is a good way to pass the time, just leave all your expectations at home. Thanks for stopping by! ;)