Saturday, July 14, 2007

Pieces Of Me: The Awesome World of Mosaics

I just saw John Chow's food mosaic and I thought I'd come up with something of my own. At first I thought only professionals could do this, or that I have to pay to acquire a mosaic software. Good to know that these things don't cost a cent. The least I could do is give them props on my blog.

This first mosaic is something I created with the Image Mosaic Generator. The pros: well, it's web-based so you don't have to download anything. The cons: the tiled pictures all come from Flickr so you have absolutely no control over what photos will be used for your matrix. I think it's still pretty neat anyway. Here's the before and after:



The next mosaic is created with AndreaMosaic (the same software used for John Chow's food extravaganza). The pros: completely customized to your liking -- from the size to the actual photos used. The cons: well, it's not really a big deal, but the only downside I can see is the degree of difficulty. You download the software, which doesn't take a long time anyway. There are lots of buttons to click, parameters to set (although there are suggested parameters so better to stick with them if you're afraid to experiment). Other than that, I think it's pretty sweet actually. It does take a while for the program to analyze and create the mosaic, but the final product is definitely gift-worthy, know what I mean? Check out my family at the beach:



Do click on the mosaics to get a better view of the tiles.

Obviously, I need to study the software more so I get really good quality mosaics (another con: it's got a great PDF beginner's manual, just lacks some info is all), but all in all I'm quite satisfied with the mosaic pictures I made. I'll definitely be making more; it's addicting!

7 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow. You did that? That looks really good. It probably took you a long time

frenchkys said...

The first one took no time at all. A couple of minutes, tops! The customized AndreaMosaic did take longer -- around 30 minutes only because I read the user's manual first and had a hard time choosing what pictures to use for the tiles. Not bad for a mosaic newbie though, right? :)

Thanks for stopping by, Crystal! Hope to see you around here again.

confessing7girl said...

ah what a great idea thanks for the tip i didnt even know u could do that online ... its much easier... and no software that like a gold mine!!!

frenchkys said...

Glad this was helpful, Confessing Girl. ;) Blog on!

Bob Johnson said...

Too cool!

frenchkys said...

I know!!! I've made like 6 more and I can't seem to stop. Haha

lisa q. said...

wow! very very cool! i'll definitely have to try that out!