Monday, September 17, 2007

Manic Monday: Easy on the Crispy

So today, I am consciously getting back on my health and fitness regimen (c/o SparkPeople, which had been really awesome to me, until I started to binge again in late July). I slacked off, OK, so shoot me. But I'm ready to give it a shot again. This time, I'm going for the long-term. I'm not just doing this to look hot, although I wouldn't mind it at ALL. Health is wealth, people, and I encourage everyone to do something -- anything -- to improve their bodies and minds.

Since this Manic Monday's word is all about "crisp," I decided to highlight the different food items I should stay away from as much as possible. You know what they say, anything in moderation is fine, but in my case, if I keep these things completely out of my diet for at least 3 months, I'd be doing my body a colossal favor.

Chips. I love my Doritos. I also happen to love my Pringles, flavored Lays (not the baked kind, mind you), and a whole array of local chips that are fried in 100% pig fat for all I know. Whether they're multigrain or baked or loaded with antioxidants (which is unlikely, but let's just assume some chips just are), I think I'd be better off without them for a while. The same goes for french fries. Oh, wow, saying that out loud really hurt. I'll just have to think about the grease and sodium content in these stuff. Swearing them off forever is just plain STUPID, so I say "dear friends, this is certainly not goodbye."

Bacon. Aside from Kevin, I don't think it really has any pertinent value to the human body, especially nothing nutritional. It's cholesterol cut into strips, that's what it is. The last time I had bacon was probably two weeks ago. I think I could take three months without it.

Chickenjoy. If you haven't eaten at Jollibee, then you can't possibly know how big of a sacrifice I'm making by taking this delicious deep-fried goodness out of my diet. They're kinda like KFC -- except they're made with more sin and cholesterol. And they deliver the food right to your door 24 hours a day! That's gotta be hard, right? It's accessible, affordable, deliriously crispy, and just down-right WRONG. Oh, how sweet it was to be loved by you.

Krispy Kreme. Finally (well, there's still a bunch of other stuff I'd like to stay away from, but a perpetually hungry girl could only take so much temptation), we have the perfectly glazed donuts from Krispy Kreme. Why, oh, why didn't you arrive on our shores sooner? I probably had a total of a dozen KK doughnuts in the last year and a half, but every bite seemed like I was downing a cup-full of sugar. The convenient Drive-Thru option didn't exactly help either.

Let's get one thing straight here: I am but human. I am nothing like Oprah, with her army of personal chefs, nor am I Vegan activist. I do stumble and my mouth lands on junk food by accident from time to time. All I'm saying is, it would be nice if I actually went through with this. And I will, believe you me. This is not going to be easy, but hey, such is life! I know my junk food hiatus will pay off. I may have nightmares every night for 3 months, get cold sweats during the day, and involuntarily salivate at the sight of crispy fried carbs and such, but I will stand my ground. The results may not show right away, but my internal organs will definitely be grateful to their master, I just know it. Besides, come January, I swear, I'm going to reward myself with one of each.

Sweet!

12 comments:

Maggie said...

ooh the food.

I went out on a crisp day yesterday. I didn't make apple crisp but I made something close.

Jamie said...

Crisp and diet are just not words that go together. Good luck with the banishment of the crispy things to another country inhabited by long tall models who think seeing ribs through your clothes is a good thing.

Sanni said...

Oh... Krispy Kreme. Sometimes I´m glad there´s not a single store in Germany. I just can´t resist them =)

Happy MM!

Zooomabooma said...

Personally I love Dunkin' Donuts. On a scale of 0 to 10, Dunkin' D is a 12 for me. Krispy Kreme's not bad, I give 'em a 9... mmmmmmmm doooooo-nuts!

I don't eat fried chicken (but I would if put in a situation to 'cause I do love it!!) and I also LOVE almost anything that's considered bad to eat... but you're right, health is wealth and I know that sooooooo many Americans don't do enough to take care of their health the way they should. That's a shame! If I really wanted to, I could go on the delicious yummy food binge everyday and weigh 400 pounds and get diabetes and heart disease and all that stuff that'll kill ya before you're 60. But no way!! I'm already sort of suffering personally because I broke my leg in May and have gained 20 pounds since then... which I am determined to take off! So listen, I really hope you're able to abstain from that bad food. Don't junk make it a hiatus... make it a lifetime choice!!!! I'm not saying eliminate bad foods forever -- but cut wayyyyyyy back! That's what I do. I just indulged in a delicious pint of ice cream but it's been my first in over a month and in that month I've been eatin' so well, cooking with fresh ingredients, keeping excess sodium and fats out of my diet, doin' really well! And now with exercise again because I think my leg's strong enough to, I'll be getting even healthier again! But every now and then I'll have some cookies or Ritz Bits or whatever -- but not often and that's the key!

Well, as you can see, I can ramble but when it comes to health, that's something I'm passionate about! I hope you do well!!!

See ya :)

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

I've never been so hungry on a MM before. I love all of it. May I have several of each? Have a great MM. :)

frenchkys said...

I just wanted to say to you kind, kind people (who took the time to leave comments when all I really did was b*tch about food I won't be eating anytime soon):

1. apples, yumm, those are good.
2. even if I starved myself to death, I don't think I'd see any of my ribs without x-ray vision. I could weigh less than a hundred pounds and still look, err, fleshy. I'm just built that way I guess. Plus-size models rock!
3. no krispy kremes in Germany. Lucky you!
4. Chris, I don't even know where to begin with your comment/s haha but I enjoyed your ramblings very much. As always.
5. and Sandee, you have no idea how much I'm craving for them right now.

What the hell have I done...

Mert said...

Good for you! I was doing SparkPeople for a while too... and am slacking. All of the num nums you mention are weaknesses of mine. I just had a BLT with crisp lettuce, tomato and bacon for lunch... and it was sooo good I refuse to feel guilty about it.

Great post and happy MM:D

frenchkys said...

Guilt can be a useful ally sometimes. It's not necessarily the best motivator, but as long as things are done right then I guess it's all good.

What am I even saying. Seriously, it hasn't even been 24 hours since my last french fry (I only had 1 piece; had I planned about my health do-over ahead of time, I would've eaten the whole damn thing) and I'm starting to see things. Hear things. Yikes~!!

Happy MM, Mert! And again, thanks all for stopping by. Your comments were pleasant distractions indeed.

Mo said...

Krispy Kreme, fried chicken, and doritos all in one post!
Are ya trying to kill me!
:)
Thanks for participating in Manic Mondays!
cheers,
manic mo

frenchkys said...

Haha I guess I'm trying NOT to kill ME in the long run. ;)

I just love Mondays (gawd, I can't believe this is me talking). Haha

Thanks for dropping by, Mo! 'Til next week!

Travis said...

I'm cruising by from Mo's.

Happy MM!

frenchkys said...

Thanks for making the pit stop, Travis. Your apple crisp sure got me hungry, too. Oh, why did I choose to start on that diet yesterday. >;)