Saturday, June 30, 2007

Supah Rave: Transformers

Starring: Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox, Jon Voight, Josh Duhamel, Rachael Taylor, Tyrese Gibson, and the talented John Turturro. With the voices of Hugo Weaving (Megatron), Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime), Mark Ryan (Bumblebee), Darius McCrary (Jazz), Robert Foxworth (Ratchett), Jess Harnell (Barricade and Ironhide), Jimmie Wood (Bonecrusher), Charles Adler (Starscream), and Reno Wilson (Frenzy).


Cameo: I literally jumped [out of my seat] for joy when Bernie Mac appeared on the screen. I mean, Bernie Mac in a Transformers movie? See what I mean? He did play LaBeouf's "brother" in the last Charlie's Angels installment, so they must have had some kind of bond going on behind the scenes. In this one, Mac played Bobby Bolivia, the fast-talking grandma-"loving" car salesman who sold the beat-up yellow Camaro to the Witwickys. Watch out for the real Bumblebee transformation -- just too cool.

Note-worthy Acting: LaBeouf was surprisingly good. He has a very animated face so you'd think he's just a so-so actor who could do supporting roles all his life. This character suits him perfectly, I think. Everyone was terrific. Even the CGI characters deserve some acting props.

In A Nutshell: If you were into Transformers way before this movie came out, you'd know what the main storyline is -- the Autobots and the Decepticons battling it out (still) in one of them Cybertronic wars with the human race dead smack in the middle. Around two and a half hours of sheer metal-on-metal warfare with lots of injected humor and dramatics in between. I watched it yesterday, but I could still feel the energy alright.

Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg must be celebrating hardcore right about now. The cinematography, cast, CG, locations, sub-plot lines -- all amazing. Slow-motion shots, vicious action sequences, breathtaking visual effects -- I was in absolute awe. I had food with me in the cinema, but I hardly ate because...because...I just couldn't eat at a time like that! If you really want to chew on something while watching this movie, I suggest you bring a pack of gum. Never EVER take your eyes off the screen. As if I needed to tell you guys that.

Transformers is a well-made silverscreen masterpiece of our time. Way WAY better than the recent Fantastic Four flick. I loved the animated series when I was young and I love it even more now. I'm going to see it again this weekend (and then again shortly thereafter, I'm sure). So you won't be surprised if I gave this baby a 10/10. I'd give it an 11 if the rating system worked that way, but it doesn't, so a perfect score would have to do.