Monday, August 20, 2007

Manic Monday: Dealing With Loss

I've been so busy the last three weeks that I've [consciously] set aside a recent heartbreak. As some of you may know, my grandfather just passed away late last month. It was tough, but with family and friends who flew in, I kind of felt numb for the most part.

Last week, a cousin of mine went back to Cali and I knew the feeling would hit me soon. One by one, these people who've served as shock absorbers will go back home and I will be left with the painful memory of my grandfather's passing. True enough, yesterday I bid farewell to two more family members at the airport (I hate departure terminals). And last night was the first time in a long while that I pictured my grandfather in his death bed. I was still trying to block it off, but I know it will catch up with me sooner than I expect it will.

My aunt, the eldest among my mom's siblings, is scheduled to leave at the end of the month. By then I am sure that tears and overwhelming sadness are in order. The house will be empty. I'd be able to hear even the softest whisper, probably even one from his own ghostly lips. I miss my Gramps, everyone knows that. But at the end of the month, when no one else is around to shield me from this sad reality, I know I will miss him even more.

1 comment:

jason bourne said...

...it gets better...