Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Slower Than A Run, Faster Than A Jog

My nephew/Godson got into a little trouble in school yesterday, so his English professor requested that his parents meet with him this morning during first period. Since my nephew's parents are out of the country, I actually had to go in their stead. Well, my mom went with me 'cuz she loves the drama of it all (she never, not once, went to MY school when MY teachers thought I was less than the ideal student). Ah, to be young and restless again...

Anyway, so we drove to the high school, met with the teacher, and we were actually done in 10 minutes. Traffic was starting to build up, with the rain and the road construction going on everywhere, so I told my mom to go on ahead to work. I decided to walk home, which I haven't really done in a long time -- with the exception of walking in a mall.

The walk was good. It was still raining and my pants were soaked from the knees down. There was even this car that drove by me so fast it splashed pot-hole water on me and got my entire left side all wet and muddy. Normally, I'd turn around and cuss at the car until the driver felt really bad. Today, I just turned around and laughed. It was refreshing. Shocking, but refreshing.

Yes, I am making a conscious effort to be nicer to people -- both strangers and people I actually know. After church on Sundays, I'd remind myself about it, but after a few hours I tend to forget. And with absolutely zero sleep from last night plus the whole trip to the teacher's office this morning, I feel the kindness oozing out of me. It must've been the Buffalo wings I had for lunch (and dinner) yesterday. Good food usually puts me in a happy mood. See, I'm even rhyming again.

So sorry to hear about the Mets and Britney losing her kids to K-Fed (case of the lesser evil, I guess). Just walk it off, guys. Just walk it off.

2 comments:

Zooomabooma said...

Walking is so under-rated. It's not the best way to get rid of calories and shed a pound or two, but it's an easy way. And it's a great time to just think. Often no distractions, just walking and your mind can wander as it pleases. My best thinking happens when I'm out for a hike, just me outside, I turn off the music, and it's perfect! Not to mention again the exercise factor!!

frenchkys said...

Yeah, I don't do it enough. No one does anymore. I vow to walk more -- to the point of not even having to think about it.

I miss running, but I didn't realize how I missed walking.