Tuesday, November 25, 2008

10 On Tuesday: Things I'm Thankful For This Year

Thursday is going to be my first Thanksgiving ever. It also marks my third month here in the U.S. (three more and I fly back home to Manila). This brings me to the things I'm most thankful for this year...

1. My trip to the States. I was able to get a 10-year multiple-entry U.S. visa and I'm just thrilled to be here. To be with my relatives; friends, old and new; to travel around the country and actually see the faces and places I only catch on TV and the movies -- what a privilege indeed.

2. Family. No matter how quirky, or annoying, or stubborn, or, at times, hopeless -- I'll always be thankful for them. Always.

3. Friends. I enjoy making new friends, sure, but the ones I have now? Wow. What can I say. I'm the luckiest girl in the friends department. My After 8 sisters Wanwan, Gsel, Chyn, Myks, Sara, Iris, Jaja, and Aileen -- I wouldn't have survived pre-school, grade school, and high school without you. And many years after that, up until this very day, I look at you girls and find wisdom, fabulosity, encouragement, and neverending pockets of laughter (yes, even during times of breakdowns and pennylessness, we just laugh until we pass out). To the loyal inhabitants of Frizzy's cuckoo land (sure, I'll name you) Curt, eTel & Intelligraph friendlies, Tommy Vang (wherever you are) -- you guys rock and you know it. And then there's The Doctor. Daniel -- you've done so much for me, more than you could ever imagine. It's such an honor to have you as a friend. No sith could jedi mind trick me out of this, that's for sure. Then there are friends who I picked up along the way (or picked me up, in some special cases) like my friends' siblings, husbands, better halves -- there will always be room in my heart for you guys. You're family, all of you.

4. Obie. I have so many nicknames for him, sometimes I even confuse myself. lol Well, Angelo and I have been together for a while. He was just here two weeks ago for 10 glorious fun-filled, action-packed days. It was nice of him to take time off work and come see me. Three months (and counting) away from him is just too darn long. Disneyland, Universal Studios, and all the amazing places we went to over here were so much fun, I wouldn't trade them for the world. And, to have seen them together is such a humbling and awesome experience. I am really thankful for that.

5. Discount shopping. Nothing beats bagging a good deal. Clearance sales and street fairs -- good. Discount coupons -- gooood. Black Friday -- I have yet to experience it, but I guess it's safe to say it'll be very, very good.

6. Music and movies. You've continued to shape, inspire, move, and entertain me like no other form of media. God bless television, but let me hear a HALLELUJAH for the tunes and the flicks.

7. Things on my wishlist that I've received thus far. I started my Wish Monster project just this year and at first I only did it for fun. I don't have a lot of stuff on there yet, but so far so good, I'd say. Christmas is fast approaching, boys and girls. So, know what I want and give it, give it, give it! Kidding! (no, not really) lol

8. The Earth. I've watched around 9 or 10 specials on the History Channel about how and when (supposedly) the world is going to end, and that's just in the last 3 months. It's a little alarming, sure, I'll admit. But when you're walking the Earth now, all you can really do is continue walking, enjoy every single thing it offers, take care of it to the best of your abilities, and be glad that you get to do all those things.

9. Hearing, seeing, feeling, smelling, walking, moving, breathing, loving.

rainbow Pictures, Images and Photos
10. Like Yano, I'd say an IMPROVED outlook on life. Everyday is another chance to let go of the bad and hang on to (and sometimes dust off) the good. It's a constant struggle for me to be nicer to myself, considerate of others, and just plain grateful for what I am and what I have. At the end of the day, I can look at myself in the mirror and say that all my bitching in the past (yesterday included) are just part and parcel of living. I'm ALIVE. That alone is reason enough for limitless gratitude.

What are you thankful for?

No comments: