Saturday, January 31, 2009

Novocaine!

Friday Fill-Ins will follow shortly, but first...

On a particularly bad day -- having had, count it, TWO wisdom teeth pulled out (nay! More like drilled, sliced, yanked, then stitched up), absorbed in no other sensation but raging pain even in my stillness -- it is best to think of something positive, you know, to keep me sane, if anything.

So, to lighten up the mood a little, and in an attempt to make myself feel a bit superior, I would like to recall the best compliments I've ever received (pardon my self-assurance, but I'm in pain!). Trust me when I say there's not a whole lot of the genuine kind. Therefore, I secretly cling to them like oxygen to a prolonged submerged pair of lungs. There are those that people say often; too often that it starts to sound...forced. "You have a very beautiful voice." Sure, you had to say that, my mom's within earshot. "I like your bag, where'd you get it?" You just want me to ask about yours. "I swear, you have the best hair." Get in line. "My, you lost weight!" Oh, bullcrap!

Then there are these...

1. "...I know you're a good girl." Even in true candor, I still manage to find it laughable. Not because I didn't want to believe the person who said it, but because they even had to. It definitely made me soft and appreciative when I heard it, but at the same time I doubted it a little. Am I a good girl, really? (that was rhetorical, by the way, in case you missed it)

2. "Your hair smells nice." Such a casual thing to say, so positively generic, almost elementary...but it definitely made my day. It made such an impact only because it's not something I hear everyday. Nor something this person would say everyday. Not that I stink (I sure hope not). But I guess I was just never the girl-who-looked-like-she-smelled-nice, knowwhatImean? Almost like I was Gandhi in the odor department -- passive -- never stood out even with perfume on.

3. "You're enchanting." It wasn't declared to me right away. The person who told me this (once upon a time), trying to be all mysterious no doubt, said that I was "what Joe Fox's grandfather used to describe the lady who previously owned The Shop Around The Corner in that You've Got Mail movie." Or something like that. The nerd that I was, I rented it out. And just as the 3-generation Foxes convened in the office for some father-son-grandfather bonding, behold, Grandpa Fox says, "she was enchanting." He actually says it again during a walking tour of the newly opened Fox Bookstore. It was heartwarming. If you were called enchanting, wouldn't you feel the same? Definitely NOT something you hear everyday.

4. "You have cute toes." I mean, WTF, right? My toes?!? Seriously? Well, if someone else had said it, I would've thought so. But coming from Obie, I knew he really meant it, the love-sick puppy that he was when he fell for me. lol Anyone who could love my pudgy tentacles could only be the real deal.

5. "There's something about you; you walk into a room and it just...lights up." I remember going through some old letters from high school before I left for the States. This from a guy who probably doesn't even remember writing it (and I hate to admit it, but I don't even remember his last name!!#%). lol Our friendship was short as it was peachy. We may have lost touch through the years, but the banter, the stripling chummy escapades, and the letter (of course) will always be something worth cherishing.

6. "Perhaps the most beautiful friend any [one] could ask for." It was never engraved in stone, nor declared recently, but at least they meant it at that moment. That's good enough for me.

Now, on with the show.

1. I'd really like more drugs right now.

2. Something that rhymes with stuck, or completely undecipherable except to Klingons is the word you'd most often hear me say if I stubbed my toe.

3. Possession is awesome for now.

4. Will take Will Turner over Captain Jack Sparrow.

5. Marshmallows and fire go together like marshmallows and my fiery, welcoming mouth.

6. Some will win, some will lose, some were born to sing the blues, oh, the movie never ends, it goes on and on and on and on.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to sleeping knowing I wouldn't have to wake up early in the morning, tomorrow my plans include nursing my pain more, and Sunday, I want to eat real solid food!

ffi

3 comments:

thistle said...

oh ouch...the dentist...i have to take the drugs before i even get there.

and sleeping in on the weekend is the best...or better yet, get up and then go back to sleep on the couch...kinda what i want to do every morning...

have a great weekend...

Janet said...

Hope you're pain-free soon!

frenchkys said...

Getting up only to move to the couch...ah, sounds perfect. lol

I sure hope the pain goes away soon. Thanks so much for stopping by, guys. I feel much better already. :)