Tuesday, February 12, 2008

TMI Tuesday: Poetic Justice

Before anything else, I just want to give a shout out to Obie...

Someone once said that a man reserves his true and deepest love not for the woman in whose company he finds himself electrified and enkindled, but for the one whose company he may feel tenderly drowsy. I guess in a weird yet good way, this makes me the luckiest girl; not only do you love me because of the butterflies and all the other obvious reasons, but also because of the ease and comfort you get when you doze off next to me. Sure, I may feel sad and a little neglected when that happens (while watching Shrek. TWICE. Come on!@#%), but I'm still honored you picked ME. Happy 3rd Anniversary...

Now on to TMI Tuesday:
1. By what nickname(s) were you known as a child? There's Frizzy, which I still go by now. It has nothing to do with my hair, mind you. I guess my parents thought it definitely sounded more feminine than my real first name. Another childhood nickname was Joy. My grandfather (dad's dad) came up with it and it was only my dad's side of the family who called me that once upon a time. My dad's sisters still call me that sometimes. Why Joy? Well, since I was his only begotten son's first child, he considered me to be "the Joy of his life." He passed away when I was only in 2nd grade, but he was a sweet, simple man. He's always been missed.

2. Do you have a favorite poem and, if so, what is it? I love the classics -- Shakespeare, Whitman, the staples in poetry and prose. But I've also written a few. I actually had to go through my junk pile to find this one poem I wrote in March of 1996. I don't remember who it's for, but it goes a little something like this:

From opposite ends of the Earth we came
Trundling our bags,
Our treasures, our laughter,
Our hearts.

From opposite ends of the city we came
High and low, east and west,
Silent, cautious,
And unseen.


From opposite ends of a lifetime we came
Of old and new
And found a breath of magic
Hovering in between.

From opposite ends of a kiss we come
Left and right, upfront and behind
To hold each other tight
Beneath the starry sky.

From opposite ends of a heart we smile
Two lives blended into one
With no more opposites;

Simply together, laughing and young
The beautiful man that you are
And I.

3. What is your greatest regret in life? Giving another the chance to just...be. It's complicated, really.

4. You are tired and hungry, but it's too late to cook. If any snack food were available to you, what would you choose and why? Beef and chicken combo fajitas with sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and grated cheese on the side. Why? Because fajitas make me happy any time of the day, that's why!

5. What is the oldest item of clothing (not jewelry!) that you wear regularly and what do you love about it? These rainbow-colored boxers I'm wearing now, I guess. I've had this since freshman year in high school. That's pretty old, right? Haha I wear it around the house all the time. I absolutely love it because it's extremely comfortable, breezy, and even Obie wore it a few times.

Bonus: Name a movie or TV show that changed your thinking or behavior. Oh wow, toughest one yet. OK, some of these are not necessarily my favorite, but their impact on my life is just simply undeniable. Let's see..."movies" that changed me the most would have to be Orapronobis (opened my eyes to political and social cancers at such a young age) and An Inconvenient Truth. The TV show that changed me the most is a three-way tie between Sex And The City, Oprah, and Doctor Who. Strange mix, I know, but I have learned a lot from these shows, no doubt about that.

1 comment:

james said...

Doctor who?? For reals?