Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day O8: Making Poverty History

Back in high school and all through college, my friends and I would b*tch about almost everything; our cars being 2nd-hand, our allowance wasn't gonna last us too long, we didn't have enough designer stuff. Even when reality got a little more "real" (after joining the labor force and starting our own families), we still didn't think we had enough. If I remember correctly, it was my friend Iris who said "at least we're not in Bosnia," which only meant that at least we weren't living in the midst of war or depression or famine. Just as my parents would always say during sporadic moments of gratefulness, "better than nothing" or BTN for short.

Truth of the matter is, there are people out in the world who have practically nothing and still consider themselves blessed. Those who have absolutely nothing compared to those of us who have roofs over our heads, eat up to 6 times a day (and still have leftovers for many days to come), work jobs that seem unrewarding but obviously pay for all our luxuries and vices, go under the knife not to cure a disease but to look younger and more attractive. It's not everyday I think about these things, but when I do, it makes me sick to my stomach. And a little ashamed, to be quite frank.

Poverty is more than just what it is to most of us -- a problem we'd be more than happy to ignore. Rather, it's a problem that we're all involved in no matter where or whom we were born to; a problem that won't go away until we actually do something about it; and, more importantly, a problem with a solution.

But the question remains: what can one person do? How can we, as individuals, make a difference? Precisely. By paying it forward and doing your part, which ever way you know or are willing to do, there will be results. There will be change and that's what we're aiming for. Change. If we all get involved, change becomes inevitable.

I know what you're thinking..."I'm not rich," "I can barely keep up with my bills," "I have my own children to feed," "I work AND I go to school at the same time," "I am taking medication," "I just don't have the time or energy anymore." Remember, someone has it far worse than you. Count your blessings and share them with others.

To learn more about what you can do about the fight against poverty, go to blogactionday.org.



No comments: