Tuesday, February 10, 2009

10 On Tuesday: Good Old Songs Of Yore

An official 10 on Tuesday list wasn't published for today, so I'm improvising. This one's actually something I missed, thought I'd revive it. I'm sure most, if not all, of the songs on this list are pretty lame. So, be warned. I'm actually chatting with 2 of my friends who I've known for like forever (Wan, Myks -- you are my ambassadors of lame-ass 90's songs). They inspired me to write an entirely different post about how cool (NOT!) early 90's music was and how it, err, molded us to the cool (you better believe it!) people we are now. But that's reserved for another day.

In the meantime, here are my top 10 songs that bring back memories of the first 20 years of my life...

American Pie - Madonna (2000). First song I "recorded." Just a little background on that, I did ghost/cover singing for a good...5 years. What does a cover singer do? Well, I'd lend my voice to an artist with much less, uh, skill. That, and do back-up for less pretentious artists, and also re-record popular songs for karaoke (you know, when you want to sing along with the CD/tape and not just go on your own, you have the option to play the vocals? Yeah, that would be me. Or at least what I did back in the day).

Angel - Sarah McLachlan (1999). If I was a melody...

All My Life - K-Ci & Jojo (1998). Reminds me of college road trips with friends. We'd drive to Mimosa, Subic, Fontana, and wherever else our wheels would take us. Cut class if we had to. From the start of the school year and all through the summer. Booze fest, hysterical laughter, wandering off at night, nightswimming, boyfriends and girlfriends, single belles, instant cup noodles, bogus field trips, sneaking out the car, sneaking out the back to ride in someone else's car. Ahhh...to be young and carefree again...

Your House - Alanis Morissette (1997). It was an inter-collegiate Battle of the Bands, and we lost (in fairness, we were the only ones in high school, and at least one of the bands who played that day are pretty big in the Philippines now, so it was an honor losing to them lol). It was held in the middle of a busy mall and during our set we had like 3 minutes to spare so I went a capella on their asses. I did this song. And for 3 minutes, the entire mall fell quiet. It was a great feeling. After our performance, I went to buy soda at the McDonald's right behind the stage, and everyone was like "were you the one who was singing just now? You totally rocked." Well, no, not in those words exactly. In Filipino, sure. And a little less dramatic. lol It was one of my finest moments yet.

Open Arms - Mariah Carey (1996). One word: prom.

Plush - STP (1993). 7th grade. It was one of those teen, angsty years. Pearl Jam was a big hit, too, but just the first 10 notes of Plush is more than plenty to bring me back to that time in my life. (there are a bunch of other songs that my friends and I came up with, but I'll save them for another post lol)

Papa Don't Preach - Madonna (1989). I was in the 2nd grade and I joined this talent contest in school. I was up against the daughter of a famous local actress. Stressful, right? Anyway, so I lip synced this song WHILST I danced (choreography c/o, who else, my mother). I had a yellow tank top and a pair of green P.E. shorts on. I remember it was spur of the moment, so I had to improvise my, uh, "costume." Anyway, so, I won. And I won all talent contests after that. I skipped the dancing part though. lol

One Moment In Time - Whitney Houston (1988). The official anthem for that year's summer Olympics turned out to be my official talent-showcase anthem as well. I remember my family would ask me to sing in front of everyone, in frilly dresses and bows in my hair, no doubt. And I would, without fear. I wonder how/why I lost that fearlessness.

Bayan Ko - Kuh Ledesma...and every other Filipino who celebrated their liberation from the Marcos regime (1986). On the day before my 6th birthday, then-dictator Ferdinand Marcos and the first family were forced out of Malacanang Palace (our version of the White House). The People-Power Revolution, frontlined by peaceful rallyists -- politicians, celebrities, priests, nuns, and commonfolk alike -- offered prayers, flowers, and food to the military for them to step aside and completely overthrow the tyrannous government they sworn to protect. This song was sung from every corner of the archipelago, echoing the joy of the people for the whole world to hear.

Chiquitita - Abba (1982-85). My grandmother would always play it on the piano. I learned to sing along with her (I was only 2 or 3 when I learned the song, mind you). One of my earliest memories.

No comments: