Thursday, June 21, 2012

My Top 5: Things I Do When Having The Worst Day

What do you do when you're having the worst kind of day?

I'm not talking about a flat tire or a ruined party dress. Those seem like vacations compared to what I think constitutes a really bad day. Just imagine the worst possible scenario. THERE - the worst kind of day!


Personally, I have several approaches to these so-called colossally bad days, but since it's a top 5 list, clearly, I can't enumerate them all. Here they are:

5. Make desperate attempts to make things right - then let the chips fall where they may. This is not necessarily the first thing I do when things go wrong, but it seemed the most responsible, most sensible, most obvious thing to do in time of crises. We pray we be granted with the "serenity to change the things we can, accept those we cannot, and the wisdom to know the difference." Sometimes we're lucky, sometimes we just have to go with it. I'd like to think I don't give up that easily. I mean, if I did, I'd be long gone by now. On a more serious albeit morbid note, I have contemplated suicide before. Too many times to count. Mostly in my dazed and confused high school years, but a couple here and there during college and long after, too. I guess I just liked to cover all the bases (i.e. Plan A = attack, Plan B = retreat, Plan C= surrender). Of course I know better now. Killing myself is completely out of the question.

4. Pizza. Or a quarter pounder w/ cheese. Or finding the nearest buffet I can find/think of. Food always solves things for me...at the moment of ingestion. After that, I feel pretty much the same, except I've gained a considerable amount of pounds and I hate myself a little for it.

3. Welcome any other form of distraction...until I have to deal with it again. Sleep, a few games of Words With Friends, watch a movie. All of which have an end. Before you know it, you wake up, you win or lose the game, and the credits start rolling. Then panic sets in. Until I somehow fall asleep again, play another bout with faceless friendlies online, or catch another flick. And the cycle starts all over again.

2. Cry. Sometimes there's nothing else you can do but cry. You want to solve the problem; take it, burn it, turn it into ash. You want to make things better, but you have absolutely no idea how. Like when you lose something and don't know how to get it back. You search everywhere and you know it's lost forever. How the hell do you solve that?? Cue the tears.


1. Pray. No matter what kind of day you're facing, pray. If it's a good day, pray that it stays that way. Be thankful for everything and everyone. Be grateful. If it's a bad day, pray a little harder. Be thankful, still, that you're even breathing and that you are armed with possibilities. It ain't over until it's over. While you have air in your lungs, it definitely isn't the end.

Photo Source:

No comments: