Monday, June 15, 2009

Planning My Work, Working My Plan

"Seize the opportunity to take hold of the things that you want most of all. Ask yourself this question: What do I want people to say about me at my funeral? Get yourself back on track on the road to a fulfilled life by taking direct steps towards your desires."

That's what my horoscope for tomorrow says (yeah, I read it once in a while). Makes one think, doesn't it. I've had thoughts about what I should do with my life, what's left of it more like it. We all have, I'm sure. This bit just makes me want to ponder on it more, and I believe that's always a good thing.

What DO I want people to say about me at my funeral. More than anything, I'd like to be remembered as someone who loved much, regardless. Add "cool and caring mother, devoted and fervid wife, fun and empathic friend, dutiful daughter, inspiring bigger sister, kind, thoughtful, generous, selfless, free-spirited yet steadfast and persevering, compassionate human being." These and more good things, I hope.

I'd like to think my makeover has already begun. I even made a list of my areas for improvement; acknowledging the things I can change or improve on was the first step. I had a really ugly streak of depression not too long ago. It was an even bigger eye-opener for me. I realized that it isn't over until it is, and with every breath there is a glimmer of hope. With the help of family and friends, I dusted myself off and picked myself up. No, I haven't done anything remotely monumental. Not yet, at least. Baby steps. Sure-fire, almost full-proof baby steps (I only say "almost" because no one ever really knows for certain what's going to happen). I've got time. With God's Grace, it'll all work out.

2 comments:

Thom said...

Good luck to your improvements. Baby steps are always the way to go. Frankly I don't care what anyone says about me at my funeral. I'm dead and gone and I don't intend on having a funeral so I guess that takes care of that

frenchkys said...

I thought of that, too; the not caring part. But as a legacy to my children, who will undoubtedly be influenced by who their mother was in some ways, it would be nice if people could say good things about me even when I'm gone.

Thanks for the kind words, Thom. They only give me more courage. :)